1. Jobs in Thailand

2.Thai Work Permit Process


1.Jobs in Thailand

One may work in Thailand if he has a valid visa and a work permit and is able to perform work that does not violate the Alien Employment Act. Any work that a foreigner may perform, in any locality and at any time, shall be prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations, taking into account the national security, the opportunity in professing such work to Thai nationals, as well as the need of alien labour for the development of the country.

At present, list of prescribed works has not yet been issued. With that, the government will continue to implement the regulations that close 39 occupations for foreigners and reserves them for Thai nationals.

Here are some of the jobs opportunities that don’t fall under those regulations that foreigner’s most likely land in Thailand:

Teaching English and Translation

Thailand has great demands for teachers. The majority of working foreigners are teaching English in Thailand. Minimum requirement for teaching English is a bachelors’ degree in Linguistics or English. Although you may still be able to get a teaching position without a degree, the pay is usually not very good. In fact, most teaching position in Thailand is not usually well paid, even if you are a native speaker with exceptional teaching record. English is the international language of business. It is quite possible to find work as a translator for Thai businesses in Thailand.

Computer and Information Technology

Programmers, Web designers, and IT professional are in demand in Thailand. Especially, if you have some experience in the field, it is probably not too hard to get a job in this industry.


Foreigners are not permitted to get a Civil Engineering position, but there are a fair number of available positions for specialized engineers in Thailand.

Writing and Editorial

National broadsheets and other media do hire a few writers-editors. Editing assorted papers, articles, and books on a freelance basis is also a way of picking up funds.

Hotel Management and Culinary

Some tourist hotels are hiring foreigners as sort of public relation managers, to talk to their guests, listen to and solve their problems and so on. Also four star hotels and foreign-managed restaurants are also hiring cooks with specialties in European cooking, for example.

Music and Entertainment

Music and Entertainment industries are tough to break into in any country, including Thailand. Although there are a fair number of musicians and English speaking DJs in Thailand, the available positions are not very high. There are also hotels looking for talented musicians to perform for their cocktail bar, restaurant or lobby. If you are good in guitar or keyboard and able to sing as well, you’ll have good chances to be hired. Please note that there are mostly Filipinos working as musician entertainers in Thailand.

Specialized Skills

Foreigners who are deemed to have specialized skills, like those mentioned above, are allowed to work in Thailand. A few examples of such skills are: Lawyers, pilots, investment experts and others.

Opening Your Own Business

It is possible to put up your own business here in Thailand. You can’t work in it unless you secure a work permit.

::::::: Prohibited Jobs :::::::

Foreigners are not permitted to work as laborers, cultural Thai handicrafts and agricultural fields. These jobs are the following:

• Labor work except labor work in fishing boats under the next category below. The said work which is forbidden to aliens shall not apply to aliens who have entered into Thailand under an agreement on hire of labor concluded between the Government of Thailand and other nations, and also aliens whose status has been prescribed as legal immigrant and who possess a residence certificate under the law governing immigration.
• Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labor work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.
• Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.
• Wood carving.
• Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting aircraft internationally, front shop sales and auction sale work.
• Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.
• Cutting or polishing precious or semi‐precious stones.
• Haircutting, hairdressing, or beautification.
• Cloth weaving by hand.
• Mat weaving or making utensils from reed, rattan, jute, hay, or bamboo.
• Making rice paper by hand.
• Lacquer work.
• Making Thai musical instruments.
• Niello work.
• Goldsmith, silversmith, or gold‐and‐copper alloy smith work.
• Stone work.
• Making Thai dolls.
• Making mattresses or quilts.
• Making alms bowls.
• Making silk products by hand.
• Making Buddha images.
• Knife making.
• Making paper or cloth umbrellas.
• Making shoes.
• Making hats.
• Brokerage or agency except in international trading.
• Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work requiring specialized techniques.
• Professional architectural work concerning design, drawing‐making, cost estimation, or consulting services.
• Dressmaking.
• Pottery.
• Cigarette rolling by hand.
• Tour guiding or conducting.
• Hawking of goods & Thai typesetting by hand.
• Unwinding and twisting silk by hand.
• Clerical or secretarial work.
• Providing legal services or engaging in legal work, except arbitration work; and work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law, or it is a case where there is no need to apply for the enforcement of such arbitration award in Thailand.


2. Thai Work Permit Process

Check some basics about your employer. This is the most important thing! Should have a minimum of 2 Million Baht in registered capital per work permit in the company. The best option is that the capital is paid up, not just registered on paper. Minimum 4 employees per work permit in the company.

Step 1:
The Company is paying tax and VAT and has the paper work in order. This is very important. Shady companies with “office in the pocket” are not eligible to apply for a work permit for you!  Prepare all the paperwork for work permit application.

Step 2:
Get a NON-B visa to enter Thailand. You must secure a non-immigrant visa B to enter Thailand. This visa can only be obtained in your home country or outside Thailand. You have to prepare it before you come to Thailand.

If you are already in Thailand, you have to travel out and apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa “B” outside of Thailand. You have to go for a visa run! You will need the company papers and a letter from the company in order to apply for a Non-B from the Thai consulate/embassy. Once, you are already in Thailand you may now apply for work permit.

Step 3:
Check, check and double-check! Recheck all documents needed.  Your Thai employer will say that everything is in order, but may not be!! So Double check! Apply for the work permit at the Thai Labour Department for the province the Company is located in. Most people get refused because they forgot to include a map in Thai showing the location of the company. Some other people get refused because they were not wearing a necktie in the photo. The Photos of the office must also show clearly the Company name and address. Double check the requirements! The application will take 2-3 weeks.

Step 4:
Pick up your work permit. You will need to pick up your blue work permit book in person at the Labour Department. The permit will be valid as long as your visa is valid, as in your passport.

Pick up five extra forms for “Extension of Work Permit ” (you will need a few of these later!)

NOTE: Be sure that you do not overstay or travel out of the country without a Re-entry Permit, because then your visa will be invalid and you will have to start the entire process over again.

Step 5:

Apply for a One Year Extension of stay at the immigration. You will need some extra documents, copies of your work permit and you will also need a set of papers similar to the one you submitted to the Labour Department.  Immigration will first extend your NON-B only 30 days. If they do extend, then you are OK for now. Make sure you make another Re-entry Permit if you plan to travel, as the previous re-entry permit is now invalid.

Step 6:
Update your work permit book ! Go back to Labour Department and extend the work permit to be stamped up to the same day as your visa extension. Your work permit book shall now have the same expiry date as your visa.

Step 7:
Check with Immigration again. At least three (3) working days before the visa extension expires, you have to visit Immigration again, and check your status. They will probably stamp you with another 30 days extension.  And, needless to say, make another new Re-entry Permit if you plan to travel, as the previous one is now invalid.

Step 8:
Update the blue Work Permit book again. Go back to Labour Department again and update the Work Permit (as Step 6).

(You have to come back after 30 days and you will get another extension of 30 days. Your application is under consideration, says the stamp in the passport.)

Step 9:
One Year Visa from Immigration.

This procedure can go on for several months, until you get the one year extension. Every extension requires a new Re-entry Permit if you will be travelling outside of Thailand. That extension will be valid until 1 year after the first day you entered Thailand with your new NON-B visa.

NOTE: The very same day that you receive your one-year extension, you should apply for a Multiple Re-entry Permit, so you will be able to travel freely in and out of the country without losing your visa.

NOTE: If you forget to obtain a re-entry permit and travel out of Thailand, you have to start from Step 1 again. Every new extension like this requires a new Re-entry Permit (and nobody will inform you of that!)

Step 10:
The final step, update Work Permit to One YearThe final step is now to update your Work Permit to be valid to the same day as your One Year Extension, which is the next year. Go back to the Labour Department, they will update your work permit book to the date on the next year.